The Research Engineer Photograph Collection (VAC300)
Permanent URI for this collection
Administrative History of Engineering Experiment Station
The Engineering Experiment Station (EES) was approved by an act of the Georgia Legislature in 1919 and formally established in 1934. The purpose of this facility was to support Georgia’s economic, industrial, scientific, and technological development through advanced engineering research. It would also contribute to national research and development programs in fields such as military, emergency preparedness, and aerospace technology. On October 1, 1984, the name of the Engineering Experiment Station was changed to the Georgia Tech Research Institute to better illustrate the interdisciplinary nature of the facility’s work.
From 1946 to 1964, the Engineering Experiment Station published a magazine called The Research Engineer that detailed the research conducted at the institution. It was edited by the EES public relations officer Ben Weil. In June 1964, The Research Engineer ceased publication, and was continued by Tech Topics the following year.
The photographs are black and white, with notes written on the back in crayon and pencil detailing how they should be prepared for publication. The condition of these materials is generally good, although a few of the photographs are stained or wrinkled.
The arrangement of photographs is generally chronological, by the volume and page number in which the photographs originally appeared in the publication.
Archival MaterialWind tunnel, Lockheed -- three unidentified men (The Research Engineer 17/4, p. 14), 1962(The Research Engineer, 1962)
Archival MaterialWind tunnel turbulence investigations -- unidentified man (The Research Engineer 17/4, p. 12), October 1962(The Research Engineer, 1962)